Our three local homebrew shops -
Xtreme Brewing in Laurel, Millsboro and Lewes, DE
How Do You Brew? in Newark, DE
Dover Homebrew Supply in Dover, DE
Fordham and Old Dominion Brewing Company donates space in their giant cooler for us to store entries until competition day.
Date: Saturday August 1, 2015
- Judging starts at 9am
- Winners announced ~7pm.
Rules:1. Open to any amateur home brewer over 21 years of age. Entries must not be made on commercial equipment.
2. For 2015, Battle of the Brews is open to the first 200 entries. Entries will be accepted in all of the 23 BJCP beer categories, listed on Page 2. New for 2015, we will also accept entries in a special ‘Delaware Beer’ category. Please see the descriptions below for more details.
3. Fee is $5.00 per entry. Register your entries online via the Delaware State Fair website between April 1 and June 1, 2015 (unless the 200 entry limit is reached earlier). Go to www.delawarestatefair.com – choose Exhibitors – Online Registration – then click the Competitive Exhibits/4-H/FFA registration link. Register as a new exhibitor, entering the required information denoted by a blue asterisk – select Delaware State (*) Fair Homebrew Competition as the Department – select the appropriate category as outlined on Page 2.
4. Please submit two plain brown 12 oz. bottles for each entry.
- Bottles must be de-labeled and without identifying / unique markings or caps.
- Attach your State Fair entry tag to each bottle. Two tags will be mailed to you (at the address provided with your entry information) by the Fair after registration closes.
- Attach entry tags with rubber bands - not glue, tape, or wire please!!
- Submit a completed BJCP Entry/Recipe form for each entry (see link below). Full recipes are optional, but make sure you list the base style and specialty ingredients for sub-categories that require them.
5. Beers will be accepted between July 9, 2015 and July 18, 2015. Please take your properly packaged homebrew to one of our local drop off points listed on Page 3. Don’t forget to enjoy a brew while you are there!
7. Judging will follow the BJCP Guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php
8. Mead and cider are not accepted at this competition.
New for 2015 - Delaware Beer Category
For each entry, you must specify:
1. The entry’s beer style
2. Ingredient(s) used that were grown in Delaware
3. Source of Delaware ingredient(s) (ie. where was it produced? The specific farm, apiary, etc. Please note that Delaware home-garden grown ingredients will also be accepted.)
The Delaware Beer classes are:
24A. Delaware Grain/Fermentable - Beer made with barley, wheat, rye, honey, sorghum, or other fermentable ingredient (except fruit) grown in Delaware.
24B. Delaware Hops - Beer made with Delaware grown hops. May also include Delaware fermentables.
24C. Delaware Fruit and Spice - Beer made with a fruit, spice, herb, or other flavoring ingredient grown in Delaware. May also include Delaware fermentables and/or hops.
Drop off points:Entries will be accepted between July 9 and July 18th at:
- How Do You Brew, Newark, DE 302-738-7009
- Dover Homebrew Supply, Dover, DE 302-270-8466
- Fordham and Old Dominion, Dover, DE 302-678-4810
- Xtreme Brewing, Laurel, Millsboro and Lewes, DE 302-934-8588
- Mailed entries can be shipped to:
Fordham and Old Dominion
Att: Delaware State Fair Homebrew Competition
1284 McD Drive
Dover, DE 19901-4639
Contacts:- Organizer - Jimmy Kroon 302-698-4586 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- C0-organizer/Head Steward - Lori Brown - email@example.com